Clothing worn by famous athletes is quite valuable to sports collectors. Many autographed, team and championship shirts have been collected over the years; they are generally exhibited in jersey display cases. These wall cabinets have been designed specifically for this purpose, and are often showcased in places such as museums, halls of fame, sports bars and clubs, memorabilia shops, and private homes.
It is an art to fold uniforms for jersey display cases. That does not mean that you could not learn it as well. If you want to give it a try, just follow these simple instructions:
1. Shadow boxes generally come with a special clothes hanger. If it is missing, find one what will match the background color of your display case. Put the jersey on the hanger – most display cases have barely visible hooks that can hold your hangers.
2. Place your display unit on a table so you can lay your jersey flat inside the case – the side you want to display on top. If the shirt has sleeves, fold them in front of the jersey so they are visible. Make sure that signatures, names or numbers are not covered.
3. Carefully pin the sleeves down from the underside, so the pins will not show. Try not to damage the fabric. You can use as many pins as necessary to hold each sleeve in place.
4. Flatten the shirt so that it is smooth against the back of the shadow box. Now pin the lower parts of the jersey to the box lining. Once again; use the fabric to hide the pins.
5. Close the doors of the case and hang them on the wall so your guests can admire your collectibles, as well as your handiwork.